Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Scrap Busting

At the start of Christmas break off school I decided I wanted to do a little bit of "just because" sewing using my scraps (no surprise there!) I like to make sure my scraps don't exceed their storage space and several of the colors are getting pretty overstuffed. Here's a picture of how I store my scraps:

Scrap storage
Over-the-door shoe organizer/scrap storage

I've used this shoe organizer for several years now. It's been a great way for me to corral scraps without taking up floor or shelf space in my small sewing area. Granted this storage method would not work for someone who does a high volume of sewing.

I pulled out Christmas fabrics left over from previous projects with the intention of making placemats. It's been on my mind to make another set of scrappy plus placemats similar to this set I made a few years ago. Over the course of my time off school I was able to get the tops sewn for a set of four mats. It's fun to mingle the various fabrics together!

Plus block placemat tops
Plus block tops for placemats

Now I'm going to decide if I want to leave them as rectangles or trim them into a wedge shape. As you can see we have an oval table which makes standard shaped placemats a little less than desirable. Several years ago I purchased a set of wedge mats specifically made for round tables from Improvements Catalog. I love the shape, however, they are just a bit smaller than I'd prefer. See how nicely they fit a round/oval table:

Untitled
Wedge mats from Improvements Catalog

I've got time before next Christmas to make my decision. In the meantime I've decided to join in with Aby of Aby Quilts and try to complete one unfinished project each quarter this year. First up are the three charity quilts for Faith Circle of do. Good Stitches. The tops are complete and ready to be sandwiched and quilted. I'm excited to get started!

How about you? Do you have any unfinished projects ready to queue up? Why don't you join us!


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for inviting your blog readers to join the UFO challenge at abyquilts.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever idea for storing scraps! I'm always looking for ways to store supplies using minimal space. I also think it would be fun to make the shoe organizer. I love your placemats! I can see why you're considering the wedge shape, it's so perfect for your round table. You must feel very accomplished at having been so productive over Christmas break. I hardly sewed at all during December and am excited to return to my sewing room. I too, am hoping to get some of quilt tops finished in the coming year. Happy New Year, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to see how you organize your scraps. I'm trying to decide if you and I have the same amounts, as I store mine in eight canvas bins - you know, the kind you buy at Lowe's. We might have similar quantities. It's great that you're making placemats from them. And I had to grin to see your "round table" (oval table) dilemma. I had the same issue with our kitchen table when we lived in West Des Moines (Iowa). I made my placemats curved along the bottom and top too. I should have made them a little larger though, but was just making up the shape as I went along. I did a blog post about them too. Hope you're staying warm in your neck of the woods!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I love it when you share your thoughts, so please leave a comment.

I respond to comments and questions via e-mail. If your profile is not linked to your e-mail then check back here for a reply.