Thursday, January 25, 2018

A Wedding on the Way!

There's a wedding on the way in our family!! Can you sense the excitement here? Our son G, and his bride-to-be, C will be married this coming fall. Of course, there has to be a quilt made for the soon to be established new family :o)

Knowing the young bride it was easy to select fabrics. She is drawn to earth colors, and things that have a bit of sparkle and shine to them. Can you imagine fabrics more perfect than Shimmer by Jennifer Sampou? The fabrics are made in Japan and come in beautiful shades of blue, gray, taupe, and creams. Each contain a shimmer of silver, gold, or both. Since I'm a bit late to the Shimmer rollout we'll happily go with a mix of Shimmer, Shimmer 2, and Shimmer On :o)

Combination of fabrics by Jennifer Sampou
Half yard cuts from Shimmer, Shimmer 2, and Shimmer On

Because of the metallic ink used on these fabrics they are a bit less drapy than regular quilting cottons, but I think in a large lap quilt with fluffy batting and a flannel backing they will lend a nice substance to the quilt. I was able to find a nice assortment of these fabrics on Etsy.

Earth tones in blues, grays, and taupe
It's difficult to show the lovely metallic in a photograph 

Although the fabrics quickly made themselves evident to me I was initially unsure of what pattern to use. I narrowed my thoughts down to three ideas which I showed the bride and groom. (Although it is tempting to make the quilt as a surprise I really feel that with something requiring this much time I'd prefer to make sure I am creating something that matches their tastes.) Here are the three ideas I came up with for them to preview. First up was the wonderfully modern Octagon Shimmer quilt designed by Jennifer Sampou to go with her fabric line. Obviously this would be a great choice since it was designed especially for these fabrics. Next I pitched the idea of a triangle quilt like this one. I've wanted to make a triangle quilt for some time now and have had this QAL bookmarked on my computer. I think these fabrics would be great in a triangle quilt! Then, to round things out I added in a more traditional quilt design, the Dreamcatcher pattern by Denyse Russart - really a beautiful quilt!

A bit to my surprise the traditional style Dreamcatcher quilt turned out to be their favorite. I almost jumped right in and bought the pattern, but then got to looking at it and thinking...it looks very similar to my Boxed Star quilt block that I designed for Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks, Volume 15.

Boxed Star
Boxed Star quilt block designed by me :o)

How fun it would be to have a reason to make a quilt using one of my very own designs! In the magazine each of the blocks must be 12" square. However, I am going to resize my block up to 18" square and go with a 4 x 4 layout. This will allow for a generous 72" square quilt - a good size for cuddling on the couch.

Boxed Star Quilt
Mock-up of 12" Boxed Star blocks


In my previous post I shared this mock-up of a quilt top using the Boxed Star block. I was thrilled to see the secondary design made by the boxes and squares of blue since secondary design was what I was hoping to achieve. However, I don't want those boxes and squares to be quite as prominent in this wedding quilt, so I'm going to try making them with a lighter contrasting color. That way they will be a completely separate design element from the stars.

I will be combining blue fabrics with the gray and taupe fabrics and each star will be a different combination, thus yielding a more scrappy look to the quilt. (No surprise there, right 😁) As soon as I get a sample block made up I'll be back to share more!

Untitled
Combinations of blues and gray/taupes

Here's a picture of our sweet couple :o) We can't wait to add C to our family!

Untitled
Our engaged couple!


Hope you are somewhere warm! It's a cold, windy January day here. Happy sewing!




6 comments:

  1. How exciting! I'm so happy for your family! And so fun to get started on a beautiful quilt for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! The quilt you are planning will be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How I'm happy for you and your family. Great project... for your son and his "fiancée" and your wedding quilt. I love so much the fabrics you chose. Best wishes for these future married "youngs".
    Hélène from France

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on a new family member. I love your quilt pattern and am glad you chose it instead of buying someone else's pattern. It will make a wonderful wedding present for the couple.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting for you, Debbie! I mean... what a great reason to make a quilt that is wanted and will be loved, AND getting that darling addition to your family! These are exciting times for you, for sure, and I know you will enjoy every moment. Depending on your role in the wedding, I also know the planning can consume lots of your time. Starting this quilt now is a good idea. I think it's fabulous that you'll use one of your own blocks... makes the quilt even more special. Have lots of fun with your piecing. I know you will be praying over it as you go. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful and exciting reason to start a new quilt! And to be able to use a block you designed? I think this is going to be so fabulous and meaningful, both for you and for your son and future daughter-in-law!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I love it when you share your thoughts, so please leave a comment.

I respond to comments and questions via e-mail. If your profile is not linked to your e-mail then check back here for a reply.