Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Blogger's Quilt Festival

It's been fun reading posts on my friend's blogs to see what project they selected for the Blogger's Quilt Festival hosted by Amy's Creative Side. I've never participated in this online quilt festival and thought this just might be the time to toss my quilt into the ring. 

For my entry I've selected Riot in the Barn:

Riot in the Barn :o)
Riot in the Barn
This string quilt is very special to me...I made it for my sister. I don't get to see my sister very often, we average about once every seven-ten years. She and I live on opposite side of the country. 

I'm so happy with how this quilt turned out. It is so totally out of character for me. I am not normally a bright, crazy type of girl. I thought my sister would enjoy something that would bring sunshine during the California rainy season. The main fabric line in this string quilt is California Dreamin by Jenean Morrison. 


California Dreamin by Jenean Morrison
California Dreamin by Jenean Morrison
I was drawn to the fun string quilts cropping up throughout the online quilting community and thought it would be a great quilt to use with these fabrics. Initially I auditioned the usual string quilt layout of diamonds.

California Dreamin Progress

The diamonds looked great, but I was not sold on them. I wanted something different than what I was seeing everywhere else. I decided to try moving the blocks around and ended up with a barn raising layout. I knew right away it was exactly what I wanted.

String Quilt Remix

After the blocks were sewn together I felt it still needed a little something different to make it a bit larger and give the top a completed look. I had just learned how to piece diamonds on point borders and thought they might be just the right compliment for the giant diamond in this quilt

California Dreamin~Top Completed!

I was absolutely thrilled when I was able to get the dimensions to work out just right for the diamond border to fit! By just using the diamond borders on two sides I felt it helped to play up the off center nature of the barn raising layout. 


Every time I looked at this quilt it was such a fun riot of color so I combined that thought with the barn raising layout to come up with it's name: Riot in the Barn.

I am linking this post up with the Blogger's Quilt Festival. I'm entering it into the Large Quilt Category


AmysCreativeSide.com




12 comments:

  1. Oh my, what a beautiful quilt! Your colours are so sunny and bright and your photography shows it off really nicely. A great gift for your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun colorful quilt--I'm sure your sister loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH my goodness!!! I love the California Dreamin in this pattern! I have a much hoarded collection of that line, and you've inspired me to make something of it once I move! What a cheerful quilt for your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great story about how your gorgeous quilt developed, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Layout choice! This is a beautiful string quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a beautiful quilt! A great way to stay connected to your sister even if you can't be there in person. I love sewing for others in fabrics that stray from my usual palette, and I have a stash of strings waiting to become a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! Your design works so well, great idea to add the diamond border on two sides. I love the California Dreamin' range too and made two strip quilts from it in 2010, one in each colour way - and still enjoy using them every day. I trust your sister loves it too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really love the fabrics! Eye catching.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’m a little late tot the party... Your quilt is beautiful, love the diamonds in the border. Must be tough to get to see your sister so little. She will love your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this design....I've never seen it anywhere! It just so happens I am making my first strip quilt, and you have inspired me to try this design with mine too. I voted for your quilt in the blogger's contest -- hope you win! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Debbie, i love the border treatment! Makes this quilt very unique. Nice!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I love it when you share your thoughts, so please leave a comment.

I respond to comments and questions via e-mail. If your profile is not linked to your e-mail then check back here for a reply.