Saturday, February 1, 2014

February in A Lovely Year of Finishes

I can hardly believe we are already up to February 2014! January was one of the coldest months I remember, and here in the shadows of the Blue Ridge Mountains we had a fair amount of snow. With all of the snow days off school I was able to breeze right through my January ALYoF goal...we'll see how I do for February :o)

Penny's mom's scrap topThis month my goal is to finish this vintage patchwork quilt. There is a story behind this patchwork. This partial quilt top was found among the craft items belonging to the mom of a sweet friend from church. It is made of bits of fabric from her children's clothing and dates back to about the 1950's. 

My friend asked if it could be made into a finished quilt. When I looked at it I knew it would need to be disassembled and reassembled in order to make a sturdy quilt. Many of the seams had been stitched with less than 1/8" seam allowance and were already coming apart. It took several sessions with the seam ripper, but with perseverance I got them all apart. 

I knew these bits of fabric would look lovely in a granny square layout. (The little flowers are tablecloth weights--it was bitterly cold and extremely windy when I took this picture!) Most of the the fabrics are soft shades so I used Kona Cotton Bone for the background. I love how visually soft the top now looks!


IMG_2388

My February goal is to complete this quilt. I purchased additional Kona Bone for the backing and DS Quilts Farm Stand Dots in beige for the binding. I plan on doing diagonal straight lines for the quilting using an off-white thread. 

I'm looking forward to getting this one off my work-in-process list. I'm linking up the the February Goal Party for A Lovely Year of Finishes!

15 comments:

  1. What an awesome story. I love how you completely transformed the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful labor of love. Thank you for sharing on AYOLF ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is heartwarming, Debbie. I'm sure it will always be treasured by your friend and passed down for generations to come. My SIL has asked me to make a quilt using some vintage 30s blocks from her aunt, with varying seam allowances, and seeing this is great inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its amazing what you just made! I finished a mini quilt using Granny Squares and I KNOW! Oh my, all that piecing! And before that, all that unripping! Congrats! It looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, what a change, you made it amazing!! Good luck with your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great story. The transformation is simply amazing,one would never guess that this was just a lot of squares sewn together in rows before you changed it up! You have done a wonderful job,good luck on the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agreed, wonderful transformation. I love the stories that our quilts tell. I'd love to hear more about the scraps.. what clothes did they come from, and what memories are there? great goal. great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with everyone here - wonderful story. You changed the layout, but still respected the vintage style, and made it a usable size. Ripping all those stitches took patience, but you did the right thing to make this a sturdy quilt. Great job, Debbie. I am sure your friend will be so touched.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Re-inventing this quilt is indeed a labor of love! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very beautiful, old and new together, multiple stories together and everything well balanced and a great story to tell!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, it does look great in it's new layout! What a special story and how kind of you to reassemble the fabrics into something useable. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great story! It looks great and you should be proud of what you've done so far. Looking forward to seeing the 'finish'

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love what you did with these blocks. Such a nice story! Good luck with getting it finished.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I love it when you share your thoughts, so please leave a comment.

I respond to comments and questions via e-mail. If your profile is not linked to your e-mail then check back here for a reply.