Thursday, February 27, 2014

February Finish - A Lovely Year of Finishes

I was beginning to think I would not have a finish to report for the month of February...some months are like that. At the beginning of February I entered this Granny Square quilt as my Lovely Year of Finishes February Goal (No. 7).  But, right here at the end of the month I refocused my efforts and determined that this quilt just needed to be finished. 


Granny Square Lap Quilt

I have to admit that I am truly smitten with this quilt. It has quite a story behind it which you can read about here. The granny squares are made from scraps of vintage clothing belonging to a sweet friend. These vintage fabrics really lend themselves to this particular quilt block.

My goal focused on getting the backing, quilting, and binding finished. I chose stitch in the ditch quilting on the diagonal in both directions. I felt this would allow the vintage fabrics to really be the focus of this quilt. 

Granny Square Quilt

Here is a final picture of the quilt all rolled up, because who does not like to see a quilt roll?

Quilt Roll

I am linking up with the February Finishes Party. Okay...bring on March...I'm ready!

 


7 comments:

  1. It's a great finish, congatulations! The quilting is just right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful, Debbie, and I'm so glad you finished it! I read about this quilt when you first blogged about it. You could not have made a prettier quilt with your friend's scraps, I'm sure she'll be thrilled to receive this wonderful keepsake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great finish Debbie - love the granny squares! -Letty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Debbie, you really did the right thing by taking apart those squares and sewing them back in a granny pattern with a neutral, almost white background. This was the best way to give life to these old fashion fabrics and honour the original maker of this quilt top! The choice of quilting is perfect too. It is a lovely finish and your friend will be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful finish Debbie, I love the granny square layout.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I love it when you share your thoughts, so please leave a comment.

I respond to comments and questions via e-mail. If your profile is not linked to your e-mail then check back here for a reply.