Sunday, January 31, 2016

The Random Sampler Continues

The Random Sampler, my Random Sampler, I know, I know, I've written about this quilt more than once. You can read more about it herehere, and here.  Why does it keep coming up? Well for one, it's still not finished (with good reason), and two, I do believe I love it the very best of anything I've ever made. Shhh...am I aloud to say that?

Random Sampler January 2016
Three complete sections of my Random Sampler

The blocks in this picture complete three sections of the quilt top. There are only two sections remaining, and I already have many of the blocks for those sections made, but they are not sewn together yet.

One of the reasons I like this quilt top so very much is that there is no intent to please anyone except myself - it does not have to be beautiful in anyone else's eyes - not the colors, not the fabrics, not the block choices. I want a quilt that I'm not afraid to actually use, and one that will be at home in our new log home. Watching this quilt top materialize is great fun :o)

I have spent many happy hours pouring over block patterns to include and fabrics to use. Once a block has been completed I've noted that some of them are not my favorite based on the choices I made. But, I've also decided that every block does not have to be wonderful. In fact, it's probably best that some of the blocks recede so that others can stand out. That way they are not all fighting for attention.

Some of my favorite parts are the "filler blocks. The blocks needed to make all the puzzle pieces fit together.

Random Sampler January 2016
Little house blocks reclaimed from another project

This little row of Home Sweet Home blocks is one example. I needed to bring the 12" Tree of Life block up to 16" to match the Fireworks block peaking at us on the left side of the picture.


Random Sampler January 2016
Applique vine

Another favorite is this sparse applique berry vine helping to bring the maple leaf block up to a standard size. The maple leaves were reclaimed from a stalled attempt at a Third Weekend in October quilt. (Note: I'd still like to make that quilt - it's a true beauty!)

New additions to my Random Sampler
Tossed Triangles attached to a Fireworks block

Finally, I made a run of triangles and used my favorite layout, which I call Tossed Triangles because I don't know if there is an actual name, to border this wonderful Fireworks block.

These little "fillers" truly are a few of my favorite things!

If you are interested in working on your own Random Sampler you can go back and start the same place I did. Anita of Bloomin' Workshop has a whole series of tutorials for many of these blocks. We all started our quilts in the fall of 2012. Okay, so I've been working on mine for three years now, don't let that scare you! I am just soaking in the joy of creating one block at a time.

Will you see this quilt top again on my blog...I'd say there is a pretty good chance the answer is yes!





7 comments:

  1. I absolutely love it! And I'm GLAD you posted about your quilt again...I must be new enough to your email newsletter list to either have not been around when you posted about this quilt before OR just happened to miss it.

    Anyway, I checked all the other links you included and went back to the beginning and then checked out Blooming Workshop. I really had a random morning flitting from one post to another! LOL!

    I do think I've commented before when I first found you....I live south of you in the Valley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt is absolutely wonderful and unique. I agree, the filler blocks make it special and personal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made two orphan block quilts in the spirit of your random sampler. It's fun to figure out how to make the different pieces fit together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your random sampler quilt. I have only recently finished the top of mine; and today made the backing. Now for a husband and childfree weekend, to baste and mutter about it, ready for quilting. Heres a link to my one:
    http://justjulielou.blogspot.co.nz/2016/01/scenes-from-my-week.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have we really been working on this quilt that long? I love your blocks and can see why it's one of your favorite quilts. I think mine is too...and I love that we can toss in filler strips wherever needed, which sometimes become favorite elements, even better than some of the blocks we planned. But I love all of it, in both our quilts. Wouldn't it be lovely to have this be the year we finish them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your sampler. I just finished the top of a sampler but I made all the blocks 12 inch with sashing in between. I really like that you are using different sizes. I want to do this next time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I love it when you share your thoughts, so please leave a comment.

I respond to comments and questions via e-mail. If your profile is not linked to your e-mail then check back here for a reply.