Saturday, September 27, 2014

Leave no blocks behind - In pursuit of a quilt back

Back in March I was the quilt designer for the Faith Circle quilt. For this quilt I asked the Faith Circle ladies to make wonky disappearing 4-patch blocks using a palette of soft colors. You can read more about the quilt design and find the block tutorial here. In my mind I had visions of a plaid center section surrounded by applique borders of whimsical flowers. 

image

After a few more months than I intended the finished quilt top finally emerged :o) These happy little flowers took longer than I expected to complete, but I am oh-so-happy with the finished top...it turned out exactly as I pictured it.

As often happens with our Faith Circle quilts there were a couple of blocks left over after the quilt top was assembled.


IMG_2743

I try to go by the motto, "Leave no blocks behind." In other words, when a quilt is completely finished (quilted and bound) I really don't want any orphan blocks left over. A good way to accomplish this is to use the extra blocks when making the quilt back. I have collected a few larger cuts of fabric to put together with the two blocks in a pieced back. I want the back to use the same soft colors as the quilt top.


IMG_2744

In my quilt notebook I've started to sketch out an idea...we'll see if it works out with the blocks and fabrics I've pulled. I hope to get the back pieced this weekend, and maybe get the quilt basted, too. 


IMG_2746

I'm excited to see this quilt progressing! 

5 comments:

  1. Looks like a good plan! Good luck making it happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a pretty quilt, one of my favorites! Wonderful to have this collaboration result in a such a beautiful design. I like your plan for the back, and it's a great opportunity to include those leftover blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that will be really fun! Fancy you plotting it out so carefully - I do pieced backs way more 'caveman' style. Looking forward to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty quilt top. Good luck with the back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love using left over blocks in the backing of a quilt. looking forward to seeing the backing you make. The colours in the quilt are so pretty and I love the appliqué flowers around the border.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I love it when you share your thoughts, so please leave a comment.

I respond to comments and questions via e-mail. If your profile is not linked to your e-mail then check back here for a reply.