Sunday, January 1, 2017

Day One: Where to go from here

Well, here we are at Day One of a brand new year. In my sewing room are several work-in-process quilts at various stages of completion, in addition to supplies for a couple of projects not yet begun. One project I'd like to bring to a close this year is my Random Sampler Quilt. I finished the quilt top several months ago, but never shared a picture of it.

Random Sampler - completed quilt top
Random Sampler quilt top

This top was such an enjoyable journey. It began as a quilt-along and ended up including several quilt blocks I've designed. To round it out I thoroughly enjoyed searching for blocks I loved to fill in all the various spaces.

While sewing the blocks and filler strips needed for this top, I had time to mull over how to quilt it: machine quilting -vs- hand quilting. After working with perle cotton on my last two projects I decided I wanted the Random Sampler to be hand quilted using big stitches and No. 8 perle cotton. It's just hard to beat the beautiful texture created by hand quilting, and the slow pace is so relaxing. My local quilt shop has a great inventory of Presencia Finca and I had no problem matching colors with my quilt top.

Untitled
No. 8 perle cotton

As soon as I purchase batting suitable for hand quilting, a good thimble, and cozy flannel for the backing I'm all set to begin, and I can't wait!

For my family 2017 is a year that will see us realize the dream of moving into our log home in the not too distant future. This will be a great quilt for snuggling on the couch with my husband while we look out over the mountains and enjoy our new home.

Blessings!
~Debbie

8 comments:

  1. An ambitious goal, but sitting in your new log home, I bet you'll be adequately inspired to work on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your quilt!! I'm sure you'll love quilting it with all those wonderful colors. Enjoy your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh, hat looks so great. I must get mine into a top!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sampler quilt looks great--I think the big stitch quilting will be a fun finish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lively sampler! You are going to love snuggling under this quilt on frosty days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There’s nothing so soothing as big stitch hand quilting!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I love it when you share your thoughts, so please leave a comment.

I respond to comments and questions via e-mail. If your profile is not linked to your e-mail then check back here for a reply.