Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Crochet a Little Caroler

I think every knit and crochet enthusiast can relate to that lost feeling of not having anything on the needles/hook and wondering where inspiration for the next project is going to come from. Don't you love finding a sweet little project to work on?

Wee Elves - Crochet Version
Crochet Carolers - my adaptation of the Jolly Wee Elf knit pattern

About a year ago I came across an online yarn shop called Churchmouse Yarns & Teas. They also have a brick and mortar location on Bainbridge Island,Washington - the complete opposite side of the country from where I live. In one of their recent holiday newsletters they featured a sweet knit pattern for a Jolly Wee Elf. I don't knit {yet!}, but I am pretty comfortable with crochet and thought I'd be able to adapt this little design to a crochet version.

Wee Elves - Crochet Version
Crochet Carolers


For my little carolers I used Patons Kroy Sock FX yarn in the Clover colorway. This variegated yarn was so fun to work with as each caroler turned out looking like his little suit was different from the others. For their faces and scarves I used bits of sock yarn I had left over from other projects. I just made myself rough notes on the construction of the caroler so each subsequent caroler is a bit different from the others.

To help the carolers stand up I wrapped a bit of {new} fish tank gravel in plastic and tucked it in the base of the caroler, then continued to stuff with fiberfill. It's really the hats and arms that give them their individual personality.


Crochet Cousin Elf
Merry Christmas!
I can hear these little carolers singing:

O Holy Night! The stars are brightly shining,
It is the night of the dear Savior's birth.
Long lay the world in sin and error pining.
Till He appeared and the Spirit felt its worth.
A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.
Fall on your knees! Oh, hear the angel voices!
O night divine, the night when Christ was born.
O night, O Holy Night, O night divine!
O night, O Holy Night, O night divine!

-by Adolphe Adams

These sweet little carolers have gone to live in their new home with my dear friend M :o)

Wishing all of my online friends a
 Blessed and Merry Christmas!

4 comments:

  1. These are so adorable, and I love the yarn! I would never have guessed they all came from the same skein. Lucky friend...I'm sure she will be thrilled to open this lovely Christmas package. Merry Christmas, Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so sweet! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The snowmen are so funny! Merry holidays to you and your family! I'm sure you'll have a prosperous year with your enthusiasm and positiveness.
    Hugs,
    Alice (from Lyon, not not from Wonderland)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I love it when you share your thoughts, so please leave a comment.

I respond to comments and questions via e-mail. If your profile is not linked to your e-mail then check back here for a reply.