Friday, January 30, 2015

A Faith Circle Finish ~ A While in the Making

Wow! Sometimes there are those quilts that you just don't think are ever going to get finished - as much as you want them to. They sit neatly folded in your sewing room just taunting you. This appliqued wonky disappearing 4-patch is one such quilt.


Faith Circle Disappearing 4 Patch
Wonky disappearing 4-patch with applique borders

It started innocently enough with the selection of an easy quilt block, the disappearing 4-patch. I knew I wanted my Faith Circle partners to use a soft color palette to make these blocks, and to add a bit of whimsy, I wanted the blocks to be wonky. Thinking this might be a good opportunity to try my hand at writing a quilt block tutorial I snapped lots of pictures of the construction process and wrote up the directions. (Tutorial can be found here.) I like to point out that I did not create this quilt block, I only wrote up a tutorial for it.

Once the blocks arrived I just knew they were the perfect candidate for my first applique border. 


Applique border
Applique borders under construction

I combined pattern elements from several different sources to come up with a flowering vine to surround the quilt blocks. Whimsical flowers was the look I was after. Naively I figured it would take me about a month of sewing to get the borders all stitched down using machine applique. 

One flower stitched down. :)
Machine applique on whimsical floral borders

In reality it took me five months of stop and go work to get the borders complete. For some reason they just seemed to be an overwhelming task. Finally they were finished and the quilt top was assembled! Next up...how to quilt it. Over the summer months I had collected a few books on free motion quilting using your home sewing machine. I wrote up a blog post about my adventures in developing my quilting skills that can be found here.

As you can see in this picture the Loops and Poppies quilt design is so nice when the quilt is freshly washed and dried...there is just something so appealing about a nice, crinkly quilt :o)


Faith Circle Disappearing 4 Patch
Just look at this great texture!

Here's a look at the entire quilt all finished. It turned out exactly as I pictured in my head and I'm so happy with it!


Faith Circle Disappearing 4 Patch
Wonky disappearing 4-patch with applique borders
For the back I took two extra blocks that were not needed on the front, chopped them up, and created a ribbon. Then, I added large cuts of fabric on either side to finish out the scrappy back.

Faith Circle Disappearing 4 Patch
Quilt back

This quilt is on it's way to Restore Innocence where it will hopefully bring comfort and warmth to a young woman in need of it. I'll leave you with one final picture...I just discovered this great tree behind our fence - it makes a perfect quilt display!


Faith Circle Disappearing 4 Patch
Quilt in a tree


13 comments:

  1. oh yay for you! It's just beautiful Debbie! I know you put your heart into this one, and it shows. Thanks for all your hard work. Some young woman is going to be so thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out so great, Debbie! I adore the applique, what a great touch! And the way the secondary pattern of wonky four patches appears is too cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It so happy and bright and the applique makes the quilt a WOWZER! It brightened my morning! I'm sure that lucky woman is going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful quilt! It will certainly brighten the recipient's day. Congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love the wonky disappearing nine patch on this quilt and it has finished into a real beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Deb,
    I quilted just such a project yesterday (neatly folded torturing me), and it feels SO good to have that one done! Now to add the binding and label and deliver it.
    I love this pretty quilt, the colors are delightful (perfect for Spring) and the border complements it beautifully. So happy for you that it's finally finished, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! I'm so proud of you for slugging through this. I know that feeling of a never ending project. But it was so worth the wait. It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's bright, cheerful and fun. A perfect quilt for a young woman. I found out about Restore Innocence from yours and Debbie's blogs, and am currently binding a quilt for them. One of my bee members is doing the same. The folks at Restore Innocence do amazing things for these girls. Do you put labels on your quilts for this group? Is so, what information do you include?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Labor of love and looks amazing. Mixing an easy block with a not so easy border makes for a nice balance in the overall result. Celebrate

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful and cheerful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It may have taken a long time, but that appliqued border is perfect! Great finish! Thanks for linking to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a lovely quilt. I am just learning the applique and I realize the time it must have taken. This will definitely be a cherished piece.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I love it when you share your thoughts, so please leave a comment.

I respond to comments and questions via e-mail. If your profile is not linked to your e-mail then check back here for a reply.