Monday, July 21, 2014

Progress Update: Summer Handwork

I'm compelled to do handwork projects in the summer...I just do not want to be limited to staying in my sewing room. At the beginning of the summer I prepped both a sewing and a crochet project to take on a trip. I've made good progress on both. 


Two of the four Flickering Stars blocks are complete. These will become a pillow front for the couch in our family room. 


This is what the back of the blocks look like. You can see where the templates were traced to provide the stitching lines. It probably takes me between four to five hours to make each block. In that amount of time I could have the entire pillow finished using a sewing machine, but there is something so satisfying to sewing by hand. 


Here are the pieces for the last two stars. I should be able to finish them both by the end of August...hopefully :)

In addition, I always like to have a good crochet project in the works. These are the socks I started in June:


I'm combining parts from various patterns to make them. The toe and heel are single crochet and the rest of the sock is done in half-double crochet...my favorite stitch! No doubt these will be ready for that first chilly Fall day :o)

So how about you? Any hand projects in the works? 

Note: Due to a necessary hardware update we are without home Internet service for a week, so this post is being done from my phone. Later I plan on going back to add hyperlinks and cleaning up any formatting issues. 




4 comments:

  1. I got to hand stitch down the binding on both the my little Michael Miller fabric challenge quilt this weekend - that's about as much handwork that manage to do. Love the variegated yarn, I asked my son to bring back something from his trip to Peru and now I need to figure out what to make from the baby alpaca yarn kind I'm kind of rusty with my skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. these blocks look like a lot of work to do by hand, but I know what you mean about the satisfaction you get from handwork. Kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your hand stitched projects! I've only done one quilting project by hand, a mini quilt, and I admire your tenacity. I also enjoy hand work in summer, sitting under a tree, and am doing a bit of embroidery when time allows. I actually enjoy hand stitching my quilt bindings to the back...some of my friends hate that part. I love it, it's the final step of the project :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful had pieced stars - I bet this pillow they are destined to become just may call for hand quilting? Back when I learned to quilt, it was all by hand, which is why everything took SO darned long!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I love it when you share your thoughts, so please leave a comment.

I respond to comments and questions via e-mail. If your profile is not linked to your e-mail then check back here for a reply.